Thursday, July 10, 2008

How Corny Can You Get?

I love that you can see all the cheese and corn kernels. It gives it more rustic look that makes everything look so much more appetizing.

Judging from the title of this post, I guess I can get pretty corny!

Cheesy Cornbread Goodness!



I was actually referring to a yummy little treat that I whipped up for breakfast the other day. A cheesy cornbread that I served with chorizo and eggs. I don't usually keep bread in my house because I'm a breadaholic and would eat every last crumb before the day is out anyway.

Is that a crumb on that plate?!

So on this particular morning, when I was craving a slice of toast to go with my eggs I rummaged through my tiny cabinets and came up with a box of cornbread mix. Now I could have made this recipe from scratch, but if you have the mix already, why not? It took about 5 minutes to mix up and was done in no time at all. How did it turn out? Well, just about as good as this cheesy cornbread goodness looks!


I baked these cornbread goodies in individual ramekins for easy serving.

The recipe was pretty easy, considering I started with a boxed mix. But that makes it so great for breakfast. There's not a whole lot to have to think about in the morning before your coffee.

Cheesy Cornbread

1 box prepared (Fat Free) cornbread mix

1 1/2 cups water

2 tbsp frozen corn kernels- thawed

1 tbsp roasted red pepper- chopped

1 1/2 cups Mexican 4-cheese blend-finely shredded

In a large mixing bowl, combine cornbread mix and water and mix on high until well incorporated. Fold in 1 cup of cheese blend. Divide mixture into 4 medium-sized ramekins. Top with corn, red pepper and remaining cheese. Bake at 350F for 8-12 minutes or until golden and a toothpick in stuck into the center comes out clean. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment